7 Tips for How to Measure Your Head for Hat
Your hat needs to be comfortable. You don't want a hat that squeezes your head or falls off. A well-fit hat looks better and makes you more comfortable. Finding your size is easy. Follow these helpful tips for how to measure your head for a hat.
How to Measure Your Head for a Hat
First, you'll need to measure the circumference of your head using a tape measure or string. You'll use that measurement to find your hat size on a corresponding chart or guide.
What You’ll Need
- A tape measure (or, string and a ruler)
- A mirror
Steps for How to Measure Your Head for a Hat
- Grab a tape measure. If you don't have a tape measure, you can use string and a ruler.
- Looking in a mirror, place the end of your tape measure (or string) on the widest part of your head. It's about a half-inch above your ears and eyebrows.
- Wrap the tape measure (or string) around your head in a straight line until you come back to the starting point.
- Place a finger on the tape measure (or string) where it overlaps.
- If you're using a tape measure, note the measurement. If you're using string, compare the length against a ruler and then note the measurement. This is the circumference of your head.
- Now that you know your head's circumference, you can find your hat size by comparing the measurement to a corresponding size chart. Most hat sizes are in inches, but some are in centimeters.
7 Tips for How to Measure Your Head for a Hat
- Measure your head twice to make sure you get the right size before choosing a hat.
- Don't pull the tape measure (or string) too tightly. Keep a comfortable tension.
- Some charts break down hat sizes into "small," "medium," and "large" categories. You can find your size category by comparing your circumference to the corresponding categories.
- If you're between sizes, round up to the larger size.
- Hats with adjustable closures are usually one-size-fits-all since you can adjust the hat to fit your head. Most one-size-fits-all hats are between 21 and 23 inches (or 53 to 59 centimeters).
- If your hat is too large, you can make it smaller by placing a foam hat strip (or weather stripping) along the inside band.
- If your hat is too small, you can stretch the hat's crown by spraying it with water and blow-drying it on high heat until it's mostly dry. Place it on your head and wear it for a while. Do this until the hat stretches and conforms to your head. You can also place a soccer ball inside the hat to stretch it (depending on your size).
Measuring your head is an easy process you can do in a few minutes. By following these simple tips on how to measure your head for a hat, you'll find the most comfortable hat for you.